The History Detectives: Creative Challenge!

Each week we are going to ask you to guess a mystery object.

Objects made by people are called artefacts. Some have stories and they can tell us lots of things about the past.  Especially if we ask these questions:

What are they made of? What are they for? How are they used?  How were they made? Who owned them? Were they expensive? Do we still have them today?

Mysterious objects. This is a picture of a famous example.  It’s known as the Roman Dodecahedron.  Experts have not been able to guess what it was. It is made of metal and is about the size of a large orange. What do you think?

File:Schwarzenacker Pentagondodekaeder1.jpg

Guesses have included: a candlestick, a type of dice, a knitting frame; and the list goes on!

So watch this space,  I’ll be posting the first mystery object next week.  Tell me what you think the object is (you could also tell me what it is made from and how old you think it is).

Jo

This entry was posted in History Detectives. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to The History Detectives: Creative Challenge!

1. Sue says:

I think the Roman Dodecahedron is a beautiful, mathematical ornament to be placed on a table for people to look at and admire.

2. flowther says:

It looks like a bead but it’s too big for that, or maybe some decoration in a building – the top of a pillar or a door knob or something.

3. Alison Goodliffe says:

Maybe they could put a candle inside and the light would shine out of the holes?